http://myopicsquid.blogspot.ca/p/foxyform-functiond-t-var-g-d.html

Wednesday, May 15, 2013



So! I've finally gotten around to trying one of the recipes on my ever growing list. Welcome to broccoli pistachio soup. I was a little apprehensive about what it might taste like, but it's actually crazy delicious. Now don't get me wrong, I love broccoli, and pistachios, but I can be finicky, and the combination sounded strange to me. On top of that I was concerned that it was going to taste like I blended up broccoli and ate it as mush, which is not the case at all. I cooked, I ate, I enjoyed. All's well that ends well, and I'm so glad this ended well. I now have lofty dreams of thickening this up to use as a sauce for asparagus (perhaps with avocado? I'll let you know how it goes). But for now, on to the recipe!

 Unfortunately this recipe isn't mine. I found it over at A Profound Hatred of Meat a couple of weeks ago and have been at war with myself over trying it out ever since. Fortunately, I made some substitutes that worked well for me, that I will be sharing with you.
It's so quick, tasty and simple, I'll definitely be doing this again (perhaps by the book just to see how much the taste is affected). The recipe calls for:

"2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 heads broccoli, stems and florets roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
salt, to taste
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup pistachios, plus more for garnish
3 tbl coconut milk, for drizzling"



I of course, being my absentminded self, forgot to buy coconut milk and fresh garlic, and I'm not a big salt person. Figuring the pistachios would bring enough salt, I cut that out completely. My revised ingredients looked more like:

2 tbl coconut oil (any excuse to use coconut oil is a good excuse!)
2 heads broccoli, stems and florets roughly chopped
11/2 tbl garlic powder
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup pistachios, plus more for garnish
1 tbl coconut oil + a dash of dairy milk, (beaten together), for drizzling

I then followed the recipe as written. I regret not taking photos of my ingredients, or the stages of cooking, but there's always another dish another day. If you try this out, let me know what you think of it. And maybe shoot a comment over to APHOM. The name almost put me off when I came across it, but curiosity won out and I'm so glad it did. I think I'm going to have to try out a whole lotta recipes from this blog. Enjoy!

(A couple spoonfuls of soup mixed with a bowl of quinoa is also delicious!)

Stay Scary,
Berlyn




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...